Friday, November 12, 2010

Bo's Giant Lot O' Cards Part 5: 1978 and 1979 Highlights

As part of our trade, Bo offered to send me starter sets of 1978 and 1979 Topps. He said the condition wasn't that great on a lot of the cards, but I still don't have that many pre-1986 cards in my collection, so I didn't really mind. And I'm glad I accepted these starter sets, because I ended up with a lot of really great cards!

The first to stand out for me were 2 1979 cards that I originally owned in the Million Card Giveaway, Fernando Gonzalez and Al Fitzmorris:
For whatever reason, certain cards were available in huge amounts in the Giveaway, and these cards both belonged to that group. So I offered trades for both of these cards in efforts to move back in years, and both times I had accepted trades, likely from people who had doubles of these guys. I almost kept Fernando, but eventually traded him as part of a deal for a 1961 Bob Buhl, which I couldn't really turn down. But now I have both of these cards in hand, so that worked out pretty well!

This next one isn't one I saw on the MCG website, but it does look damn cool - 1979 Andres Mora:
Mora looks apprehensive in this photo to me, and with good reason - 1978 represented his 3rd cup of coffee in 3 years, and Mora had yet to bring his minor league success to the majors. He was actually VERY successful in the Mexican League, connecting for 419 total homeruns (plus another 22 with Rochester's Minor League Team), placing him third in Mexican League History. But he never did much in the major leagues, with games played in 1980 with Cleveland representing the rest of his major league career.


This is my first Dock Ellis card:
I think we all know why having a Dock Ellis card rules, so I'll let that speak for itself.


Speaking of awesome pitchers, it's Joe Kerrigan!
He wasn't the best of pitchers, playing only 5 years in the league, but I remember him fondly as the Red Sox pitching coach from 1997 to 2001, as well as the answer to the trivia question, "Who was the last Red Sox Manager before Grady Little?" Kerrigan was most recently the Pitching Coach for the Pirates, but he was recently fired, so he'll be looking for work again this offseason.


This next to last card is another blogger favorite - Nerdy Paul Reuschel:
Fastballs? More like ROBOTS! And THE FUTURE!


And finally, here's a great card of Aurelio Rodriguez, with a goofy look on his face:
Maybe he's thinking about his 1969 Topps card (which I'm still hoping to track down someday!)?

No comments:

Post a Comment