Thursday, April 16, 2015

Stickers, or Gary Sheffield finally gets some friends

So a while back I posted that something new would be happening, and very few people clicked on that post since the only image was this:
Well I decided it was high time I add some color to my binder, and the idea of that post was that the color would come in the form of stickers.  Typically, stickers do not get stuck (sticken?) in the card world.  We collect players and teams, and once we're above the age of, eh, 9-10, we treat them like other cards - something to keep pristine and not stick on stuff.  I decided that needed to change for my collection, and so on my most recent COMC run, something like 30-40 of the "cards" included were actually stickers.  So here's my first application of a few.

The most immediate need on this front cover was a pitcher to pitch to Sheffield.  So I went with a pretty great choice IMHO...Bartolo Colon:
Why Colon?  Well, the man is never not interesting to watch.  I mean just the other day he had an RBI single while losing his helmet.  I don't remember him ever being quite so rotund/ridiculous before he joined the A's/Mets in the twilight of his career, but man is he a joy to watch now.

The next stickers I stuck is a two parter, and I wonder if any of you could guess where it comes from based on the one part:
Any guesses?
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

It's the top half of a group photo of the five NBA players from Space Jam.  I assume there's a bottom half too...but I couldn't find that on COMC so I just went with this.  Plus I kind of dig Charles Barkley's stare down towards nothingness...that means I can post something below for him to look at.  Although I may track down the final two cards someday.

To give him something to look at, I went with an EXCELLENT sticker of Michael Keaton, from the 1989 Batman set.  Michael Keaton is a god in our household (well...to me...my wife goes back and forth), so when I found this sticker I was pretty pumped.  The problem is, stickers from 1989 don't always want to stick.  So I had to get creative:
Yup, Keaton there is stickered in by four Bazooka NFL mini stickers featuring some guys I loved to watch over the years.  Top left is Patriot great and Too Many Manninghams Michigan guy Ty Law.  Top right is Aaron Brooks, who QB'd decently for a few teams during the aughts and has made a lot of appearances on the blog.  Bottom left is David Carr, who I used to supercollect.  And then bottom right is Deion Branch, one of the greatest Patriots of all time and MVP of Super Bowl 39.

The only issue with these Bazooka stickers is they come 4 stickers to a "card," and in many cases the cards have guys I don't care about.  Like Carr and Brooks were with Patrick Ramsey, or Branch was with former Bengal Kelley Washington.  I'll have to get creative with what I do with these extras because I'd hate to just throw them out...maybe they'll decorate a future trade package or two?

Anyways, finishing this up, a last really cool (to me) sticker I found was of Devils captain Bryce Salvador.  For those with a good memory (or sidebar searching skills), Salvador was a Worcester IceCat WAY back in 1997-98.  He actually still played a little this year even though now he's an old vet on the brink of retirement.  Regardless, he's easily the only IceCat who ever played enough to earn a sticker, so he definitely gets to be on the binder:

And that's what we've got on the binder today - let's see how it all looks together:
If I find those other two Space Jam stickers, I'll probably move Keaton and friends down to the bottom left corner.  Otherwise I think this is a great start, and I have a lot of 2010's football and 90's baseball to add to this thing in future posts!

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing not an inch of white on that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your binder looks like my bedroom door when I was a kid. I would save every sticker I received at school and plaster it on my door along with... duplicates of my Topps (album) stickers, Fleer logo stickers, and of course extra GPK stickers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! There's less 90's goodness left now...but enough to still make it pretty awesome.

      Delete