Tuesday, September 13, 2022

My Dad is great, and so is Sportlots!

Like a lot of people, I imagine, I got into cards from my Dad.  He's an absolute die hard sports fan and collector, and he's probably been collecting since at least 1970.  I remember him getting completed Topps sets as gifts when I was a kid, and he's always had almost completed sets around the house, just waiting for that extra time to work on building them to completion.  My brothers and I caught the itch from him, and all three of us opened tons of packs as kids trying to be just like Dad.  Good times!

This summer, due to a variety of reasons, my Dad decided to jump back into finishing his sets with both feet.  He's trying to complete a few sets, but he's mainly focused on 1959 Topps, and as of this post he's got two cards left - the Bob Gibson RC and the Mickey Mantle All Star Card.  I hope he gets them soon, as it's such an awesome set to complete!

Seeing his interest in cards revitalized has clearly brought back the itch for me as well, as I've been posting like a mad man (For me) in the past few months.  So I hold his re-interest responsible for me jumping back into the game as well.  Part of my revisit has involved me looking for cards he needs on old "side" sites of mine - the COMCs, Becketts, and Sportlots of the world.  Stuff he probably wouldn't check.  Now, I had no success in finding cards he needed, as any of those cards on these sites are like double the price they'd be elsewhere.  But these sites are perfect for weird obscure cards of obscure players...so of course I'd find a Shyrone Stith on there that I needed /42.  Ooo baby baby...it's a wild world.
For literally $2, I got myself one card closer to 100% Shyrone Stith completion.  I now just need 17 Stith cards, four of which are 1/1's, so that's...pretty dang wild!  I'm so happy I ended up deciding to collect Stith several years ago.  I thought he'd bring me less joy than Seneca Wallace since he has fewer autos and relics and a lot less NFL success but dang...then I get a card like this and life is so good.  Collecting is awesome you guys.  And so is my Dad!

6 comments:

  1. Great to hear about dad! Wish I had an extra '59 Gibson for him. Heck, wish I had a '59 Gibson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is such a beautiful card! I obviously always trended towards newer stuff, so it's been cool gazing at the cards I typically only see on blogs like yours in person. His last two purchases were the Campanella and Mays cards from the set.

      Delete
  2. That is really great. Fun for you and your dad to share the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely agreed! I was home this summer helping clean house a bit (For when they move "someday" lol) and my brothers were uncovering all their lost gems too. So we all got to sit around and talk cardboard for an afternoon. Fantastic times.

      Delete
  3. That's awesome that your dad is back in the hobby and trying to finish the 1959 set. And congratulations that you're one card closer to 100% Stith completion.

    ReplyDelete