Saturday, May 23, 2015

Dennis sends awesomeness my way - Part 1 of 3 featuring sweet patches, Aaron Hernandez, and multiple 1/1's!

Dennis of the Too Many blogs and I have a good thing going.  I find him Michigan stuff on COMC, he finds me goodies at shows and on other card sites.  Sometimes we then swap those piles.  It's basically the most beautiful relationship that has ever existed between someone from Michigan and someone from Ohio.

This package was even more awesome than usual, if that's even possible.  I was able to handpick some of the items for it that Dennis grabbed at nice prices, but other stuff was a complete/amazing surprise, so that was great too.  But let's just get right into it!
First the obligatory Aaron Hernandez mention on Dennis' Index card.  Of course...and reassuring to know that my blog is finally safe!

Related to that, somewhat, is this sweet patch card of Deion Branch.  Related, you see, because Branch is one of the best Patriots of all time:
He was a Seahawk here, but man that is one helluva patch.
Nice numbering too!  This is one of those Christmas card type cards as Baseball Card Breakdown always puts them - 12/25.  Sadly you probably won't be getting this one sir, but you are free to gaze upon its awesomeness!

Next is a whole bunch of cards - a trio of Thaddeus Lewis Sage Hit cards, and then stickers of Billy Hamilton and Chris Ogbonnaya:
I collect Billy Hamilton, but this sticker will go on my binder rather than in my collection.  As for Ogbonnaya, I have fond memories of him briefly breaking out in Cleveland a few years back, so I will definitely add his sticker to my binder too!  And as for the Thads, I swear that Dennis has 4,000 copies of every card in that 2010 Sage Hit collection, and somehow I always end up needing them.  Someday he may as well just send the whole shebang to me since it'll inevitably end up here anyways piece by piece!

That wasn't the only card of "The Champ" featured.  The package also included this EPIC O's auto, /25:
I already grabbed another auto /25 on the cheap, so to have 2 /25 autos this soon is amazing!  The proof is in the serial numbered pudding:
5/25 - hey that day's coming up soon!

Moving on - this card is just an awesome relic.  I have a cool patch/relic collection, and Dennis found this for cheap at a show.  I think it's well worth inclusion:
I count 6 stars on the football, plus like a third of a seventh.  Easily the most stars I've ever seen in a single football relic card.  In other words...it's awesome!

Getting near the end of this first post, Dennis was able to snatch up another scrambly QB card, this B.J. Daniels auto:
I LOVE how crisp this looks.  And it's /49, which is pretty darn neat.
The back is really fancy too - I love all the gold highlights to make this somewhat of a classy set.

You know what kind of gold I love even more?  GOLDEN Deduno!
Five more added to the set, which puts me at eight now.  Man I love this card.  It literally never gets old for me.

But I saved the best for last.

When Dennis and I were first discussing this package, there were three printing plates of one of my new guys on Ebay.  I told Dennis that if he could grab any of them, that'd be awesome.  He was able to get 2 of the 3 (the third one went for like $20, which is way too much!).

Here are the two Brayan Peña plates, marking my first two 1/1's for his collection!
The card on the left is technically the mini version - it's just blown up here.  But in general it's very cool - one version represents 2014 Topps, and the other represents 2014 Topps update.  Here are the backs:
Told ya the cyan one was a mini!  As usual I love the backs of printing plates.  I also think it's kind of neat that the cyan one has some pink on the back too.  Makes it sort of a magenta-plateish type thing.  Can't ever hate on that.

So that does 'er for the first post - the next two will introduce two guys whose collections I'm just getting started.  So stick around for all sorts of other goodies in the next few days!

3 comments:

  1. You picked all kinds of fun stuff! I can't even remember what half of it was. And be careful what you wish for with the SAGE stuff--I still have lots to use as packing material (though none of anybody you collect that I know of).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still can't believe 2 of those 3 plates worked out - so awesome!

      Delete
  2. Man... that Branch patch is beautiful. Nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete