Monday, May 23, 2016

When in Doubt, Buy More Patches from COMC

I'm still selling pretty well on COMC, which has been a boon to my PCs and the PCs of a few others.  But since COMC started going well for me, I think no collection has seen growth quite like my random patch collection.  I just kind of grab anything remotely cool I like, especially if it's a player I like, and the result is a very large, very random collection.  Here are some of my most recent additions:

Kevin Johnson of the Browns is actually a guy I used to PC.  I ended up changing my mind, but I'll still grab a cool card of his now and again, and this Puma patch was less than $2:
Now a lot of times label patches scream fake, but I felt good about buying this one since I own another Fleer Browns Puma patch from the same time period already:
So the two cards kind of go together, which I think is neat, especially since I remember the Tim Couch to Kevin Johnson hail mary from 1999 fondly.

I stayed in Ohio with this next card.  It's a triple practice jersey card with two NFL busts surrounding a nice three color jersey of Corey Dillion:
These jerseys have a real different texture since they're practice worn.  I thought that was a cool aspect of the card, plus it looks pretty nice and the three color is gorgeous.

I've always wanted a patch card of Daunte Culpepper for some reason.  This card fit the bill since I love the yellow stitching:

Same goes for Charlie Garner, and this barely there two color (it's at the bottom) from his days as a 49er:

The last patch of this post goes to Johnnie Morton.  Patchwork always has pretty nice patches, and this three color is no exception:
I also just love the cleanliness of this design - the player, a patch window logo in the middle - it all kind of works for me.

The last two cards here aren't patches, but they're still cards I really wanted for my PC.  One is a pro Bowl jersey of Jerry Azumah, who probably zero of you ever heard of:
He was a beastly RB at the university of New Hampshire, which is my Mom's alma mater.  The Bears drafted him in the 5th round in 1999 to return kicks and be a defensive back, and he made the Pro Bowl in 2003 as a returner after averaging 29 yards per kick and scoring two touchdowns that year.

The other non-patch is baseball, a cool little pairing of mid-late 90's CF dominance:
This card is especially neat for a few reasons.  For one, I loved the Braves as a kid and my brother loved the Indians, so this card is a good pairing of those memories for me.  For two, Lofton actually came to Atlanta around this time to play ahead of Jones, spending just one year before heading back to the Indians.  So it's kind of neat to see these two paired at this time for that reason.  Most of all though, it's just a really crisp looking card - excellent bat pieces, some great images, just all around a really cool card.  Which made it an easy buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment