Monday, January 6, 2020

Heads Up Quads #23 - Giants!

Back to the quads!  This is actually one of two Giant quads in the set, and I'm really curious how they decided which teams got multiple cards.  I know the Giants were in the Super Bowl, so that could be part of it, but the Ravens only got one card in the set.  That being said, there's an all Fullback card in the set, so who knows? 

Card front:
Ron Dixon is on this card because of the 2000 playoffs.  He scored a kickoff return touchdown against the Eagles in the divisional round, and then also scored one in the Super Bowl (The only points for the Giants in a 34-7 loss).  His career was sadly just three years long, as he then tore his PCL and never fully recovered.  But the two touchdowns in a single playoff is an NFL record, so that's pretty freaking cool.

Jonathan Carter's career was one year longer than Dixon's, but pretty similar otherwise.  They were both speed guys and returners (Carter was drafted a year later).  He really didn't do much of anything in the NFL, but I do remember him being crazy fast in Madden 04 (My all time favorite video game), so he was on my team a lot as a KR/WR4.  Very solid dude.

The back:
Ike Hilliard was a first round pick (7th overall) in 1997, which is wild to think about.  He was definitely a pretty solid WR, but a first round pick?  He played 12 seasons overall, finishing 116th all time in career receptions and 179th all time in yards gained.  He also never quite gained 1,000 yards in a season, with 996 in 1999.  So certainly not the best WR of all time.  I did look at his playoff stats though, and the guy was a huge part of getting the Giants to that 2000 Super Bowl.  In the 2000 NFC Championship Game, he went for 10 catches, 155 yards, and 2 touchdowns in a 41-0 win.  It's kind of wild that a Vikings offense including Daunte Culpepper, Robert Smith, Randy Moss, and Cris Carter was shutout by the Giants, but the Giants were kind of a buzzsaw at that time, so good figure.

Jason Sehorn is a guy I mostly knew for marrying Angie Harmon.  He's not married to her anymore, which is fine, but that means I need to look more at his career for analysis.  Nine years played, one with the Rams, the rest with the Giants.  He was pretty good overall, including 96-97 where he had 13 interceptions and 183 tackles over two years.  He was injured a lot too though, and only made the full 16 games in three seasons, with only one season where he started all 16 games.  So I honestly feel like the guy was always a little disappointing.  Maybe Angie Harmon agreed (Heyo!)?

So who wins the card?  This one is a hard one for me.  I'm honestly between Hilliard and Dixon.  Hilliard has the longevity but never really shone despite his high draft status.  Dixon was only around three years (The least of anyone on the card), but had one set of playoffs where he really went off and was a star.  Now granted, Hilliard did well against the Eagles in those same playoffs, but Dixon's returns happened in a few different games and in closer games, so I'm giving the card to Dixon.  This is easily my most debatable pick on one of these cards, so feel free to disagree.  But Ron Dixon, I think you deserved this one dude.  Kick returners forever!

4 comments:

  1. I always liked Sehorn. Seemed like he'd make the highlight reel on a fairly regular basis back in the day. Wasn't sure who Angie Harmon was... but after a Google search I immediately recognized her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the first celebrity/athlete couples I remember being cognizant of as a kid.

      Delete
  2. As a Giants fan I remember Dixon, Hilliard and Sehorn fondly. Sehorn was actually the best player of the three though Hilliard was a dependable receiver for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sehorn was definitely always pretty good, I just remember him getting hurt a ton too. Without the injuries I think he'd definitely have won this card for me.

      Delete