Friday, January 3, 2020

Sometimes things happen when you're not trying for them (Plus some life updates)

My one friend has really been in his bag lately about relationships.  He's entering his late 20s, and while he's still capable of the occasional one night stand, he's having trouble finding a long term relationship and it's eating at him.

So I gave him the same advice I got back in the day: The less you look, the more you'll find.  It doesn't work for everyone, but I ended up in most of the better relationships in my life when I wasn't trying to find said relationship.  

And recently it worked with cards as well!

Now, obviously I don't post anywhere near to as much as I used to.  My collections are always ongoing, but I definitely put less effort into them, especially lately.  I moved from Cincinnati to Akron over the Summer, and in between adjusting to a new house and a new job, I really didn't have time for hobbies.  So cards took more of a back burner than they usually do...until recent weeks.

My wife told me I could display my VHS collection* a bit more in the new home, which turned into me checking out VHS trading/collecting online.  At Christmas, my Dad asked for a list of things I might want, and in thinking of VHS/movies in general, I pondered other hobby interests as well.  Most of those cards from Christmas will appear in posts in the next few days.  But I randomly checked Ebay for the first time in forever and...holy crap...I found a Seneca Wallace I had NEVER SEEN BEFORE.

It was like $2 with something like $4.75 shipping.  Typically I'd be like what's with that shipping...but for a card /50 that I've never seen in 10ish years of collecting Seneca, I'll take it!

Here's the super fancy card:

It's a quad event used football card, and I don't know why this is the last one I ever found from Playoff Honors.  Jerseys typically look cooler, and I even have the jersey/football one /25.  But I am so so so glad to have this one in my collection now, especially since it's been a while since I picked up a Seneca I didn't yet have.

The best part?
This card is 15/50!  I really don't seek out "jersey number" serial numbered cards, but when they fall in my lap, especially when I haven't really been seeking them out for months on end, they're just icing on the cake.  This card rules, and I'm happy to start 2020 with some progress on my Seneca Wallace collection!  There will be a few more card posts coming up in future days and then I'm sure I'll withdraw back into the ether, but for anyone who's still reading I hope you have a great 2020!

* As for the VHS collection, I'm debating including it in my collections here.  On the one hand, why not, but on the other hand, I'm not scanning like I used to (Obviously given the pictures above).  So we'll see if anything new gets added!

4 comments:

  1. $4.75 for shipping is ridiculous. However... I don't blame you for paying it. If I stumbled across a cool Gwynn memorabilia card that I had never seen before, I'd probably pay that too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's definitely a lot, but when you lump it in with the price it feels like I paid like $7 for this card, which I easily would've topped.

      Delete
  2. Good to see you posting again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't say it'll happen a lot, but as long as there are cards to collect I'll be collecting!

      Delete