Thursday, May 13, 2010

GSNHOF Nominee - Jay Walker

It's been a while since I've done one of these, but given a little bit of time before work today, I figured I'd throw a name out there. I've gotten some great recommendations from readers and fellow bloggers alike recently, and those names will end up on this site eventually. Today, however, I give you a name I came across while doing some left handed quarterback research: Jay Walker.
Walker started his college football career at Long Beach State, but he ended up at Howard State after Long Beach eliminated their football program. Known as "Skywalker" in his Howard days, Jay did just enough for the New England Patriots to draft him in the 7th round of the 1994 NFL draft. He didn't hang on long with the Pats, and ended up spending a year with the Barcelona Dragons before returning to the NFL as a Minnesota Vikings backup who threw two passes in two seasons. A brief NFL career for sure, but that's two more pass attempts (and completions) than you or me, so I'm impressed!

What's Mr. Walker up to now? Well, despite a name that implies law breaking, Walker is now into law making, as a member of the Maryland House of Delegates. He's supported a Clean Indoor Air act, helped out on education and finance resource committees, and he's also a part of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland. Jay is also CEO and President of Walker Finacial Services, and can occasionally be seen as an analyst on ESPNU. In other words, he's a pretty successful guy!

The weird thing? Despite googling images and websites for pages, I'm still not sure if Jay was left or right handed. But while I don't know whether he belongs on the left handed quarterback list, with a name like Jay Walker he definitely belongs on the GSNHOF nominee list. Maybe someday I'll email him to check his handedness, as well as his thoughts on traffic safety.

To see the best sports names of all time, visit the Truly Great Names page.
To see some good sports names that were voted out, visit the Good Names page.
To see the current voting ballot, visit the Ballot page.

No comments:

Post a Comment