Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cards from Spiegel (AKA Nomo's Sushi Platter)!

Formerly Reader Michael, he now has his own blog: Nomo's Sushi Platter. Many congrats for the start of what will likely be another successful blog! Judging by his trade packages, I'd say it's already a success!

Michael's package involved hitting three types of things: Cup Cards, Red Sox, and Trade Bait for a future draft. My favorite part (as it often is) was the cup cards, and my favorite of those cards was an Evan Longoria Moments card from 2009 O-Pee-Chee:
Now it's already awesome to see the big word moments with that little Gatorade cup sitting on its own in the background. Someday I want to photoshop this card so that the writing at the bottom discusses the cup instead of Longoria. Not sure exactly what I'd say, but there's no questioning that this image is a moment for that cup too!

As for the card itself, it remembers Longoria's 6/26/08 contributions during a 6-1 Rays win. Not only did he hit two doubles and a homerun, but he "also lent a helping hand out of the dugout by picking up a cap and a glove for a teammate." What a random moment to be caught on cardboard, right? I think it's pretty unique.


There were also a bunch of 2010 Topps cup cards - I never realized there were so many in that set!
The Michael Saunders is my favorite kind of cup card - lots of beverages going on:
Gatorade coolers, coach with a cup - nice mix of containers. The busier the better!


A few more from 2009 Upper Deck too:
The Paul Konerko is pretty epic, in that same Longoria way. I think I just have a thing for spanning dugout shots - they always look really nifty.


After the cup cards come the Sox and Trade Bait, of which there were many of both, but of which I'll just show my faves to keep this post short:
The Lars Anderson in the top left is very cool - even though Adrian Gonzalez has his spot now, Lars still likely will see some time in Boston someday. The rest is bait - a few nice inserts and 2 really nice looking Chrome Refractors (there's nothing wrong with the Overbay, it just scanned weird since it's a little warped).

When I first started getting back into the hobby, I didn't really get refractors and xfractors - they just kind of seemed like shiny overload to me. Now I can't get enough of the stuff! They look terrific!

Thanks Michael! Good luck with the new blog!

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to trade for the Hughes blue border...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the write up. I enjoy it when someone likes what I send them.

    ReplyDelete