Sunday, November 18, 2012

Random Shenanigans - My introduction to A-Z Lots

One thing I'd noticed on Listia lately was the prevalence of A-Z lots.  With these lots someone posts 26 different items, each starting with a different letter of the alphabet.  If you win, you get all that stuff - pretty groovy!

Found one for 6,000 credits, which seemed pretty low to me for what I saw in the list.  A few jersey cards, an auto, a bobblehead, some "star" cards, and X was an "x factor" valued at $25.  Totally worth 6,000 credits to me, so I gave it a go.  What follows are the highlights of what I picked up.

The first highlight is the first thing I noticed - a Brandon Roy bobblehead.  I actually found this auction by searchings for bobbleheads and thought this would be a neat get.  I still feel that way after seeing it in person:
Kind of a cool post, like Roy is protecting the ball and looking over the court to see what he would want to do next.  Here's the view the defender would have in this situation:

Pretty cool eh?  In this shot it also looks like Roy is looking out my window towards the gas station.  On an unrelated note, we had 12 cops and one firetruck out there yesterday to arrest one guy.  INTENSE!

Also intense?  The x factor of this lot.  I had no idea what it was, but I had a feeling it was a jersey when I started opening the package and saw a clump of fabric on one side.  It was a jersey - and this one is particularly awesome - it's Tracy McGrady:
I'm obviously a fan of goofy jerseys of random players, and McGrady, in my humble opinion, fits that collection so nicely.  He showed so much potential as a youngster with the Raptors, exploded onto the scene with the Magic, played a few nice seasons with the Rockets before getting hurt, and then played one year seasons with the Knicks, Pistons, and Hawks.  He is currently playing in China.  And I'm currently trying to decide if I want to keep this or give it to my little brother for a Christmas gift.

Pretty random lot right?  It gets more random - how about this Charley Barkley plaque/card:
This plaque feels to me like every plaque I ever saw at a mall collectibles store.  There's some sticker residue on the name plate, the card placed in the holder is super arbitrary (i.e. not a key rookie or rare card or anything), and the holder is glued crooked.  I've never owned one of these before so it's near to have one.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with this piece.

Next up is a boring trifecta of checklists:
 Which are only really boring if you look at the backs.  The fronts are sweet when combined:
That image is so freakin' cool.  I'm never able to complete those puzzles or crossover images where you collect a few cards and they combine into a cool picture.  It's nice to have one fall in my lap, especially one of the Dream Team!

Speaking of cards, this lot had a lot of those too.  Thought I'd save them for last though since I like the other goodies the best.  Here's my nine favorites.
That lot includes some Finest cards, a little vintage, a LaMarcus Alldrige Bowman rookie serial 99/99 (Ebay 1/1 OMGZ), a Marcus Camby die cut rookie, a Steve Nash Pacific rookie, a Zydrunsks Illgauskus rookie, and then a few hits.  The less interesting ones are Mike Dunleavy and some dude with a lot of vowels in his name.  The more interesting hit is Quentin Richardson, whose card will finish up this post.

Here's the front of that card, Suns jersey, New York Knights team labeling.  Interesting...
The back gets even better:
This jersey was worn in by Quentin in a game with the LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS!  So image, team label, and jersey source are all different.  Three teams, one card.  And that's still better than the authenticity description we are given nowadays by card companies.

And that rounds up some of the goodies I got from my first ever A-Z lot.  Astute readers may realize I only listed 13 distinct things, which means I picked up 12 other objects, ranging from more vintage to random rookies to a complete set of 1990 Fleer Update (which includes a rookie card of Gary "Glove" Payton).  I'd say I definitely got more than 6,000 credits worth of awesomeness from this lot.  I'll happily try to bid on these lots again in the future!

1 comment:

  1. I made a Listia steal today too. It was only 3000 credits and I can't wait till it gets here.

    Curious? Here is a hint: three cards all of the same HOFer, all from the same set, the set is over 50 years old, and the player is from my team.

    ReplyDelete