Saturday, August 27, 2022

Ben Gay's Legacy and Longevity

This is just a post about two parallels I recently bought, but don't the card names make it sound much more epic?  As a non sequitur, I was thinking about some of the more memorable names out there and got stuck thinking about Tiffany (Which originally existed as a Topps parallel and later made it to other sets like Fleer, signifying a higher quality version of the base card).  Why Tiffany?  Did she work at Topps?  Was she someone's daughter or wife?  The world may never know.

Anywho, for the first time in a while, I dug through the Beckett Marketplace the other day to see what needs of mine might exist there.  They don't crosspost to Ebay like COMC, so there's often some hidden treasures listed there that have probably sat around for years.  

As is typical, I found quite a few cards I needed that I've never seen anywhere else.  The first being Ben Gay's Fleer Showcase Legacy parallel, which is #'d to 100:


Ooo, gold plating.  This one's especially significant for my collection as it completes the world's only Ben Gay Fleer Showcase set, which includes the base, this Legacy /100, and my recently acquired Masterpiece /1.  Check 'em out all together below:



I love that the Legacy backs, like the Masterpiece back, differentiate beyond just the stamped numbering.  Backs get so little love when it comes to parallels, so it's nice to see a little here.

The other major Ben Gay acquisition I made was his Rookies and Stars Longevity parallel, which is #'d to 25.  I really struggle with scanning these days (I used to scan cards to my laptop with a printer/scanner, but it has been at least 4 years since that scanner existed and the scanning with my phone just isn't the same.  So here's an angled picture to show off that shine:
It's really cool to finally see this card, as I'd honestly never seen what it looked like and don't even know if the Longevity base card exists.  You'd think it must if this parallel exists, but I've never seen the base card in something like ten years of looking.  That being said, Ben Gay is one of the harder players to search for online (You often get the health product or religious propaganda if you don't use "Benjamin"), so maybe it's out there and I just haven't found it yet.  One can hope!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on adding two more rare cards to your Ben Gay PC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would guess Tiffany had something to do with the luxury brand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holy cow, that never even crossed my mind! I bet you’re right though.

      Delete