Saturday, February 11, 2023

Cards from a few old friends

Now that I'm back to dabbling in the card world again, I've heard from a few of you guys regarding potential trades, which has been awesome!  Thought I'd share a few of my recent ones here.

The first one comes from Bo of Baseball Cards Come to Life!  He and I must've traded a zillion times back in the day, and we also had a nice setup for a minute where he'd send me bulk he didn't need, I'd send it to COMC to sell in lots, and we'd all reap the rewards.  Those were the days!

He reached out with a few Topps Jose Lopez I needed, and I was very happy to add them to the collection.  They are 2006 Topps, 2008 Topps, and then a 2010 Topps Opening Day:




Trades like these are always helpful because I tend to chase parallels and/or numbered cards first when collecting a guy, so the base cards often end up being gaps in my PCs.  So it's nice to add three wants in one quick trade!

My second deal comes courtesy of Blowout, where there's a guy named Jay who has made some deals with me in the past.  Lately he's just been trying to add to my Sam Deduno collection, and he found three base papers to send my way.  Three is significant because it puts me at 102 total cards in the collection - I've finally made it to triple figures of that goofy cup card!

To keep with my recent Deduno VHS theme, here they are with around 100 VHS I recently picked:


A new B/S/T video game store popped up near my work, and when I first wandered in I noticed they had an entire bottom shelf of VHS.  I bought a few my first trip, and then a few weeks later they were BOGO so I bought a bunch more.  About a week ago, the owner reached out to me on Facebook Messenger letting me know that VHS weren't selling well outside of me, so he'd be happy to sell me most of the rest at a nice price.  Sounded good to me, and now I've got some watching to do (Since I've seen about four of the above movies!).

The last recent deal I've made is with Gavin of Baseball Card Breakdown.  We used to make a bunch of deals back in the day too, and I've always especially loved his custom cards, as he does some really beautiful work.  This time was no different - check out these incredible Joan Jett customs he made!




I love how he pays tributes to sets of old and there's a cool gloss to the fronts of the cards that really pops in person.  Plus he often has tons of "stats on the back" with these customs, which is any card collector's dream.  I traded for these with the idea of eventually gifting them to my wife's cousin, a guitarist and baseball aficionado who is obsessed with Ms. Jett.  But after seeing these cards in person...we'll see if they leave the collection haha.

It's nice to be back in the trading world!  If you're reading this and feel like trading again as well, feel free to check out my trade bait list to see if anything catches your eye.

6 comments:

  1. Gavin always makes some great customs. Love those Joan Jett cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always fun trading with you! That COMC hookup was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise, and agreed! If I ever find such a situation again I'll let you know.

      Delete
  3. Nice collection of VHS. I wish I would have kept mine, but trying to collect them while adding DVD's to the collection wasn't practical in terms of space. I ended up selling most of them at the flea market, but I did keep a few including two I saw in your stacks: Young Guns and Remember the Titans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely feel you on the difficulty of balancing VHS and DVD. My main VHS shelf is a tall IKEA one with 4 areas for VHS and 2 for DVD. When I pick up VHS lots like the one in this post I wonder if those 2 DVD slots need to go away haha.

      Delete