Monday, October 31, 2022

My first Blowout Dedunos, pictured with some spooky VHS for Halloween!

I keep slowly picking up Samuel Deduno's Bowman Cup Card and am finally nearing 100.  I don't always do a post about them because they're the same image over and over again, and I'm not always feeling creative enough to spin that in a fun way.  But it's Halloween, so today I decided I'll post them next to some of the more random horror VHS I own!

Not to bury the lede though - I have a few Blowout Forums posts that I occasionally bump to the top asking for help with my collections.  It had been a hot minute since they had gotten me any new cards, but I actually received a Good Humor card I needed through there that I'll eventually post.  So feeling lucky, I bumped by Deduno post, and some guy offered me 10 Dedunos!

LESSGOOOOO!

A few days later they were in my mailbox.  So here's a few images of them next to cool movies.

First we have two Bowman paper base next to a copy of Wraith (1986):
Just before moving away from Cincinnati in 2019, I discovered this little record shop called Torn Light Records that was next to some amazing Indian restaurants.  I was collecting vinyl a bit at the time and wandered in, only to find an entire VHS wall with some awesome tapes.  SO GOOD!

Then we moved though, so that was it for me and Torn Light.  Until Covid hit, and everyone was spending money on collectibles, and I realized they had a website.  I ended up buying tapes for me and sometimes a buddy, and Wraith was one of those tapes.  I'd consider it more sci-fi than horror, but it's this weird movie where Charlie Sheen dies but then comes back as this weird entity...and Sherilynn Fenn is in it and she was always a total babe.  So it's a pretty fun watch, and I'm glad I was able to pick it up.

Next up is one gold paper parallel next to a copy of Wicked (1998):
Wicked is...a wicked strange movie.  Kind of more thriller than horror, it's Julia Stiles' first real big movie, made a few years before things like 10 Things I Hate About You and Save the Last Dance made her a household name.  In this one her mom dies, and she starts trying to become the mom of the house, straight up to like trying to sleep with her dad and stuff.  It's real insane, especially because they play her as like a 16 year old (Which to be fair, she was like 16 as this filmed).  I grabbed it at a record store in Concord, NH known as Pitchfork Records, as it was about ten minutes from my Grandpa's house.  It's a really great shop all around and well worth a visit if you're ever in the area.

Next we have three chrome Dedunos along with Cherry Falls (2000):
Cherry Falls is one of the oldest/newest movies in my collection.  Obviously large scale VHS sales went out of style in the early 00's, but they were still doing pretty good in 2000, and Cherry Falls did a lot of rental/tv work as the most expensive made for TV movie ever created.  I didn't know that at the time - I just knew it was a movie I saw a bunch in reruns on USA.  I probably bought this at Blockbuster at some point for like $10 as a former rental.

The movie itself is a slasher through and through, and with the twist that this killer only kills virgins.  The backstory gets kind of convoluted and I don't want to spoil anything, but I love Brittany Murphy and Jay Mohr in this so much.  I was 14 when this was on TV, so I guess at the time I reaaaally loved Brittany Murphy in this.  Ah youth.  But I watched this movie recently and it's still a pretty fun, weird ride.

Last but not least is the rarest card of the bunch, a chrome refractor, with the rarest movie, My Bloody Valentine (1981):
I grew up watching a lot of horror of the time (Think like Cherry Falls above, Scream 3, Tales from the Crypt's Bordello of Blood), so there was a lot of 70's/80's horror that missed me until adulthood.  I mean I only just finished watching all the Friday the 13ths and Nightmare on Elm Streets last year (I had seen all the Halloweens years ago as that was always my main jam).  So there's a lot of 80's horror like Terror Train, Sleepaway Camp, and April Fool's Day that I've come to love, but few more than My Bloody Valentine.

This was also a Torn Light purchase, and I bought it on a whim because it was priced pretty good at the time (I want to say $10 when Ebay solds were $40).  I had heard of the remake originally but knew of this slightly as a well reviewed horror that was a Canadian classic.  And it's really really good.  Definitely Canadian, definitely 80's, and definitely a whole lot of fun.  My wife can't get into most horror but had a really good time with this one.  So it's well worth a watch if you haven't seen it, I'd say for horror and non-horror fans alike.

And that does it for today's Deduno/VHS crossover post.  If you'd like me to sneak more VHS into future posts, let me know!  And I hope you get to watch something spooky tonight!

4 comments:

  1. I'm of the opinion that there can never be too many VHS posts among card blogs. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally always preferred the Jason and Freddy movies (in that order) to Halloween.

    That last movie title I originally read as My Bobby Valentine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I’ve watched them more, I think Fridays are my favorite now too. Halloween is still second for me, albeit it’s all over the place in quality.

      Delete