Saturday, September 15, 2012

Listia Wins...from BA Benny?

Now I know I'm not the only blogger who uses Listia...after all, I wouldn't be using Listia were it not for a few bloggers who mentioned the site!  But I hadn't personally run into anyone from the Blogs on Listia until recently, when I won a nice little card and received a message from none other than BA Benny which basically read, "Hey, I know you and you won my auction, cool!"  I thought that was stupendous and it became even more stupendous when he said he'd throw another card my way for poops and giggles.  And sure enough, a few days later the two card package was in my possession!

Card #1 is the one I bid on, and it cracks me up a lot.  BA Benny says he also might have grabbed it from me in a Trade Bait Draft, and I agree that may be true. But I didn't appreciate it as much then.  It's one of those weird two player Topps Co-Signers cards, and the two players here are Chone Figgins and Gary Matthews Jr.:
Once upon a time this card was probably pretty cool.  But then Gary Matthews Jr. fell off the map and was regarded as a terrible contract.  Fast forward a few more years, and Chone Figgins similarly fell off the map and was (and still is) viewed as a terrible contract.  I don't think I've ever seen two worse contract situations (combined) on one card, or at least I don't think I've ever seen the potential of a card's featured players drop so far over time.  We're talking hitters who averaged about .315 with good speed and good defense at their peak, making a combined 6 million dollars and who now (while let's say in their most recent season since Matthews is done) averaged .187 with poor speed and poor defense.  Yet in that most recent season they combined to make over 21 million.  Ouch.  I love weird things like that so this card is a lovely (re)fit for my collection.

Benny's add in was way too nice, as it typical for the guy.  It's a gorgeous Seneca Wallace that I already owned, but it's an upgrade over the one I had.  And the card just looks so crisp anyways so it's always nice to show off!
Ain't that a nice little card?  I thought so.  Anyway, thanks Benny for the Listia stuff, and I hope you make all sorts of awesome sales in the future!

2 comments:

  1. I've been nosing around on Listia a little but haven't pulled any triggers yet. I just posted about a couple deals on Yardsellr though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found others bloggers that either bid on my stuff or bid against me. (not just you) There has to be a bunch of Bloggers on Listia because I myself have referred 17 of them.

    Also I shipped a card to someone with the same last name as mine. For some that might not be that big of a deal but I don't have the most commen last name.

    ReplyDelete