Voting for Ballot Four of the Great Sports Name Hall of Fame has ended, and thanks to everyone who voted (19 people), we've got a new member added to the Truly Great Names: Fair Hooker.
After a Ballot Three that resulted in 0 names being added to the Hall, Fair becomes the first name elected to the Truly Great Names since Dick Trickle. Fair also received the second highest ballot percentage to date, as he managed to appear on 58% of all ballots this time. It's also important to note that Fair is the first name elected after being nominated by a reader of this blog (many thanks to Matt for that), and that Fair is the first name to join the Hall on attempt one since Ballot One. All in all, an impressive set of accolades for the former Cleveland Brown, who appeared on 11 of 19 ballots.
That's only one name off the Ballot list, however, and so clearly there's a few left to place. The following are the names a step below Fair Hooker's, which were on somewhere between 20% and 55% of the Ballots and will thus appear on Ballot 5 (listed by number of votes):
8 - Wonderful Terrific Monds the Third, Manli Wang, Prince Octopus Dzanie (4th Chance, 1st Chance, 1st Chance)
7 - Earthwind Moreland, Ten Million (3rd Chance, 2nd Chance)
6 - Jung Bong, Ben Gay, Nana Papa Yaw Dwene Mensah-Bonsu (4th Chance, 3rd Chance, 1st Chance)
5 - D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Misty Hyman, Kirby Dar Dar (2nd Chance, 2nd Chance, 1st Chance)
4 - Lucious Pusey, Destiny Frankenstein (4th Chance, 2nd Chance)
Notes on the names that remain:
- Wonderful Terrific Monds continues to get plenty of support, but can't get over that edge. His lifetime ballot percentage sits at an impressive 40% over four ballots.
- Misty Hyman and Destiny Frankenstein dropped considerably, going from named on 48% of ballots to 26% and 21% (respectively) of the ballots.
- Lucious Pusey narrowly avoided joining the Good Names, and has gone from 50% all the way down to 21% in his four ballots.
Those names at least have a chance on the next ballot. The following names were eliminated on Ballot Four (thus joining the Good Names), and are no longer eligible for election to the Truly Great Names:
3 - Milton Bradley, Grlenntys Chief Kickingstallionsims Jr. (3rd Chance, 2nd Chance)
2 - Kenesaw Mountain Landis (1st Chance)
1 - Paul Dickov, Craphonso Thorpe, Candy Maldonado, Dino Radja (4th Chance, 1st Chance, 1st Chance, 1st Chance)
0 - Yinka Dare
Notes on the eliminated names:
- Milton Bradley is gone after receiving a lot of verbal support from voters in the early ballots, from 36% to 15%.
- Paul Dickov garnered as much as 43% of the vote in past elections as Pull Dickoff. When this error in spelling was remedied, however, Dickov quickly fell off the list.
- No votes for Dino Radja, really? Like Sherard Clinkscales and Kywin Supernaw before him, this is one no vote you'll regret, my voting public.
- Yinka "Stinka" Dare ends up with 0 votes, Craphonso Thorpe narrowly avoided a similar fate.
So there you have it, the results of Ballot Four. Congratulations to Fair Hooker on his election, my condolences to Yinka Dare, and good luck to everyone continuing on to Ballot Five. I hope this will be the Ballot that finally gets Wonderful Terrific Monds into the Hall where he belongs!